Recipes

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Easter Eggs

With the arrival of spring and all of the Easter decorations being pinned on Pinterest, I knew it was time for me to start with my own decorations.  One thing I really enjoy about sharing my projects is to let the average person know that they can make the things they see on the internet.

I fell in love with those large easter eggs made from crochet thread and they were really easy to make.


All you need are balloons, spray starch, crochet thread, plastic cups and a large pan (or something to sit the eggs in to dry).


I purchased the yarn from Wal-Mart.  My Wal-Mart only had blue, pink and red, I guess all of the crafters already hit them up :-) Each roll of crochet thread was about $1.50.  I purchased the large roll and only used about half the roll for each egg.



I blew up a balloon to the size I wanted the egg and poured spray starch over the balloon.


Then I began wrapping the balloon with the thread.  As I wrapped the balloon, I wet the thread with the spray starch that was left over in the pan.  I found it helped to keep the thread on the balloon as I wrapped it.  


The process was a bit messy due to the starch, but when I had the look I wanted, I cut the string, set the balloons on the cups and left them to dry overnight.  Those wrapped balloons were a lot of temptation for RJ, but thank goodness he left them alone. 


The next morning I took a pin and popped the balloons.  I used a pair of tweezers to pull the deflated balloon out of one of the holes.



If you are like me and anxious to see your completed egg, make sure the egg is completely dry before popping the balloon.  The part of the balloon that was resting in the cup was still wet the next morning.  
Fortunately, I was able to retain the shape by letting them dry completely even after the balloon was popped.

I decided to put the red one in another room since it really wasn't Eastery enough and I tied a pink and blue ribbon around the other two.


I also filled to hurricane vases with Easter egg straw, tied ribbon around them and filled them with plastic easter eggs.  I think they came out great.  I've done a few other Easter/spring crafts that I will share also.



 Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment