Recipes

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

NOLA Girl's Summer Update

I am sorry that I have been away all summer, but with the kiddos being on vacation I have been pretty busy.  We had a great summer.  We spent lots of time with family and friends and were able to sneak in a small 'Staycation'.  

Our summer started with a visit from my parents and my brother for Memorial day and we had a party to celebrate.  My mom and brother stayed with us for 3 weeks.  During that time we did lots of shopping and I had a blast.  At the end of their 3 weeks, the kiddos and I drove with them back to New Orleans where we spent 3 weeks.  I was able to see the rest of my extended family and play tourist in my hometown of New Orleans.  


I am a huge history buff, so one thing I was excited to do was visit the cemeteries and see the graves of my ancestors and famous New Orleanians.  One of the cemeteries we visited was St. Louis No. 1, this is where the voodoo queen Marie Laveau is buried.  It was very interesting to see her grave with all of the markings people leave when they visit.  





Marie Laveau's grave 

We took the boys to one of my favorite snoball stands, Hansen's Sno-Bliz.  Hansen's has been around since 1939, and in my opinion they have the best snoballs in New Orleans.  If you ever make it to NOLA during the summer, you should definitely check them out.  


We also took the boys to the lake, they had so much fun skipping rocks and looking for 'dinosaur bones' :-)


Of course we ate lots of local food.  In addition to the great meals my mom made us, we went to the Parkway Bakery and Tavern.  Their shrimp po-boys are great and so is the atmosphere.  We also went to one of my favorite places in New Orleans, Domilise's.  They have been in business forever and their roast beef po-boy is to die for.  


Our 'staycation' actually began when we got back to Texas and my Hubby was able to take a week off. We took the boys to the movies, out to eat, shopping and ended the week with a trip to the Great Wolf Lodge.  We all had so much fun.  Great Wolf Lodge is a great place for families, I can't wait to go back.  


We had a very nice summer vacation and I hope you all had a great summer too. 
Now that things have slowed down a bit I am happy to get back to sharing all of the events of my life with you again.    

Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment