Recipes

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Summer square foot garden update

Today's post is an update on my square foot garden.  I enjoyed working in the garden most of the summer, but this Texas heat kept me indoors a lot.  Fortunately we have a sprinkler system which kept the garden watered and growing throughout the summer.


I learned a lot about gardening this summer.  First thing is that I should have listened to Mel Bartholomew, the Square Foot Garden guru, when he stated that you need to use more than one type of compost in your garden.  I took the cheap route and used only one type of compost which resulted in smaller veggies.


Even though the tomatoes were not as large as I hoped they would be, they were sweet and we enjoyed eating them.  


I also had lots green peppers.  They had the same growth problem as the tomatoes, but quite a few of them grew also.


One thing that did grow large was the mint.  We had so much mint I gave some away.
Second lesson:  NEVER put mint in the garden again.  It took over the entire garden, the roots were growing everywhere.  I will definitely grow mint in pots next time.


We have recently had some aerial spraying for the West Nile virus so I decided to clean out the garden in order to prevent the pesticide from getting on the veggies and to prepare it for fall planting.
I dug up all the mint and kept some and put it into a pot.  Currently, all that remains are 2 tomato and 1 bell pepper plant.


For my first attempt at gardening I think I did pretty good.  I am going to purchase 3 different types of compost to amend the soil with before I put in the seeds for the fall.  Wish me luck, I will keep you posted.


Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment