Recipes

Monday, September 10, 2012

Saints vs. Redskins: A House Divided

This weekend was the official start of football season for my family.  I am a lover of all things New Orleans and that includes my undying love for the Saints.  My hubby, being from D.C.,  is a die hard Redskins fan so we had to recognize yesterday's game between the two teams.  


Even though we are both extremely loyal to our home teams, since we are family, we do support both teams (especially when they don't play each other).  The boys were split on which team they should support.  MJ wore a Redskins jersey, but said he wanted the Saints to win and RJ wore a Saints shirt, and said he wanted both teams to win.  


I had a great time decorating the house and trying to share the love between both teams.  It wasn't too hard considering we both have lots of items for each team.  The one thing I was very surprised to find here in Texas was Redskins duct tape.  It caught my eye at Hobby Lobby the other day and I had to buy it.  Being in Cowboy country I couldn't believe they had anything that said Redskins on it.  I was equally as surprised that they didn't have any Saints duct tape.  I will have to get some of my NOLA folks to send me some for next time.  


Even my Buddah had to get in on this action....he was pulling for the Saints!! 


I made good use of all the glass jars I save by putting the utensils in them.  Hubby was worried that he would be the only person eating out of the Redskins stuff.  Fortunately one of our friends is from the D.C. area and she and her family came over so he wasn't alone with his burgundy and yellow.  
I also made Hurricane drinks for the adults.  They were just what we needed during that stressful game.


I cooked traditional New Orleans food for the game.  Hubby wanted to steam crabs and drink Rolling Rock beer, but considering I didn't remember the game was yesterday until last Tuesday that didn't leave me a lot of time to prepare for that.  Sorry Babe :(



I made a HUGE pot of red beans and rice.  That was 5 pounds of beans!!!  I've never made more than 2 pounds at a time so this was a challenge for me.  I soaked the beans over night and when I woke up the beans had absorbed most of the water and expanded so much I had to put them in a larger pot!!!  When I called my mom to tell her she said, 'Oh, I forgot to tell you they might do that.'   
Gee thanks mom... ;-)


I also made my home made french bread.  It was a hit with everyone.  There is nothing like red beans, rice and french bread.  Yummy.


Of course it wouldn't be New Orleans without a bread pudding for dessert.  I made the best bourbon sauce to go with the bread pudding.  It was delicious if I must say so myself.  I also put together a batch of lemon crinkle cookies.  One of my NOLA girlfriends who came over brought us a batch of her red velvet cake balls, they were a huge hit.  I will have to get the recipe from her because MJ was in love, he even took some for lunch today.

My story ends on a sad note for me because my Saints lost :-(
but I am happy for Hubby and his Redskins. 

Oh well,  I still love my Saints, Who Dat Forever!!
We always have next week so watch out Panthers!!


1 comment:

  1. I had a great time decorating the house and trying to share the love between both teams. It wasn't too hard considering we both have lots of items for each team.

    I love it! Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete