Recipes

Monday, March 26, 2012

Fruity Pancakes

We are a family that loves pancakes for breakfast on the weekend.  Especially pancakes loaded with fruit.  This weekend I made a batch with strawberries and blueberries.  I also had to make a few with chocolate chips for MJ.  

I started by cleaning about 6 large strawberries and 1/2 cup of fresh blueberries.  Sometimes we also do bananas, but the boys didn't want any this time.  I used some of the fruit in the pancakes and the remainder I put on top.


This batter is a little thicker than the traditional box mix, but it is so much better.


Please excuse my old skillet, I really need to buy a new one, but it is the largest I have :-)


I love to put the fruit in the batter once it is in the skillet, they look so good!!








These are MJ's chocolate chip pancakes with a side of strawberries and homemade whipped cream.


At the last minute I decided to make homemade whipped cream.  Unfortunately, I whipped the cream a second too long so it looked a little curdy but it was still delicious.





I hope you give the recipe a try, it is definitely a keeper.

1 & 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 cups all purpose flour
4 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon orange rind
4 tablespoon melted butter
fruit 

Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.  In a separate bowl whisk together eggs, butter, milk, vanilla and orange rind.  Then slowly pour dry mixture into wet mixture and combine until no longer lumpy.  Put approximately 1/3-1/4 cup of batter into a pre-greased skillet.  I like to use butter, but cooking spray will work also.  If you use fruit add it after adding the batter to the skillet.  Once you see bubbles flip once.  After a few minutes the pancake will be ready. 

This recipe yields at least 8-10 large pancakes.

Whipping cream
1 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoon powdered sugar

Whip all 3 ingredients together until you get peaks.  Once you get the peaks, STOP beating, or the cream will look curdy like mine :-(

Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment