Recipes

Monday, March 5, 2012

Pulled pork dinner

I love to cook and try new recipes, and since we've recently relocated to Texas I want to make sure I try as many barbecue recipes as possible.
This weekend I decided to make one of my favorites, pulled pork.

I purchased a large pork shoulder roast because I definitely wanted to have left overs.  I also purchased one with the bone in it for the added flavor and moisture the bone provides.


I made a brine with root beer, salt, garlic and pepper and I injected the roast with the brine before I covered it and put it in the fridge overnight.



When I took the roast out of the fridge the next morning, I patted it down with a paper towel to remove the excess moisture.


Then I rubbed the dry rub all over it...


and put it outside in the smoker for 12 hours!!!

Thanks to Hubby the roast is missing part of the crunchy top layer, he said the smell was too much for him and he had to have a sample.




Once the roast cooled enough to handle it, we pulled it apart.  The roast was very tender and came apart very easily.


I also made mac-n-cheese, baked beans and corn on the cob.  I didn't put sauce on all of the pork, I put it on each individual sandwich because RJ doesn't like barbecue sauce :-(.

Sorry picture is so dark


I cheated a little with the barbecue sauce.  Hubby usually makes his own, but I used a store bought sauce.  I will share his sauce recipe soon, it is very good.  
I had a few friends over to eat with us that night and they all raved about how great the pork was. I was very happy everyone liked it so, I guess this recipe is a keeper.  

If you'd like to try it, here it is.  I hope you enjoy.

Renee

Brine
8 lb pork shoulder roast
4 cans of root beer
2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 cup salt
1 tsp. black pepper
Mix all ingredients together and inject the roast with the brine. Place roast in a large bowl or 2 gal zip lock bag, pour the brine over it and refrigerate overnight.  

Dry rub

1 tsp celery seed
1 & 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
1/2 tbsp pepper
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 & 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp thyme
1 tbsp onion powder


No comments:

Post a Comment