Recipes

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Square Foot Garden Update

Well, I guess it was inevitable that our new puppy Buddy would find it very enjoyable to run and frolic in my garden.  When I went out and saw all of my new little green plants in such disarray I wanted to cry (well I actually did).  I have been working so hard on my garden and I was finally getting some results and to see the mess Buddy made broke my heart.  Fortunately, I was able to salvage most of the small plants and was able to replant my broccoli that was on the ground.  

After I dried up my tears my wonderful kids made me the sweetest card to make me feel better and my supportive husband promised that he would help me build a barrier to keep Buddy from frolicking through my broccoli again.  















We ended up putting up a simple chicken wire fence around the garden to keep Buddy and any other critters.  I'm not sure how long I will keep the fence up, but for now it is working out great!



Being that this was my very first attempt at gardening I had to do lots of research.  In addition to using the Square Foot Gardening Book, I found a series of videos on YouTube by a lady named Donna.  She documented her square foot gardening from the very beginning and it was very helpful to me (and apparently many others who watched her videos on YouTube.)  I highly recommend her videos to other novice gardeners.  She was a novice when she first began and she shared all the ups and downs of gardening.


My garden has been up and running for over a month now and I have lots starting to grow.  The only real result of Buddy running through the garden were a few carrots growing in other squares.  Here is an outline of the vegetables that are growing today.  I still have a few empty squares to add a few other summer vegetables.  Not sure if I put everything in the best square (most compatible), only time will tell.

Heirloom Tomato


Lettuce
Kale
Heirloom Tomato

Lettuce
Spinach
Cherry Tomato
Broccoli
Broccoli

Peppers
Broccoli
Carrots

Carrots







Here are some pictures of the garden that I took this morning.




                Lettuce and broccoli




     Mixed baby green lettuce and spinach 



Romaine lettuce and kale.  Yesterday, I put some of this lettuce on a sandwich.  I can't wait for the kale to grow so I can put it in my green drinks, Yummy!!!





I've also planted my herbs in pots.  I have basil (my favorite and in the large orange pot on the ground), oregano, thyme, parsley, mint and cilantro.  


I am so pleased with the garden so far.  I get so happy to go outside every morning and look at it. 


Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment