Recipes

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Too busy to read!?!?

In addition to my love of all things sweet, chocolate, cute and crafty, I am also an avid lover of books.  I love to hold them, smell them, collect and read them.  I have been a reader all my life.  I remember as a young girl alphabetizing my books by author and creating my own card catalog with index cards.  Crazy, I know.



Whenever I go to New Orleans, I love to visit Octavia Books, one of my all time favorite bookstores.  The people are very helpful and knowledgable.  I love to browse the shelves and look at all the books by local authors and books about New Orleans, my favorite books to collect.
















At home, I can usually be found in my favorite orange sofa getting lost in the pages of a great book.



When I am not reading, I am thinking about the story and anxiously waiting to get back to it and find out what is going to happen next.


Lately I have been so involved in crafts and spring cleaning that I haven't found time to read.  I miss it so much, but I am having too much fun with my other projects.  I am still able to get a small book fix when I take RJ to the library.  We go at least every 2 weeks and check out an average of 15 books for me to read to him.  I used to do this with MJ, but hanging out with friends and electronic devices have surpassed his love of reading.


In order for me to continue with my projects, but still have my books I decided to give audio books a try.  Now I must say that my preference is most definitely to hold an actual book and read.  My parents gave me a Sony reader for Christmas a few years ago, but I barely use it.  Not because it isn't a good e-reader, I haven't used it because I am not a good e-reader.

The audio book thing isn't too bad and it is free from the local library.  I can download the book to my computer and upload the book to my iPod.  I am using this as an opportunity for me to "read" all of the classics that I haven't read yet.  I finished The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells while gardening yesterday and now I am listening to Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.


Audio books will never replace my beloved printed book, but it is a good alternative when you just don't have the time to sit and read.

Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment